Saturday, February 19, 2011

Field Trip!!

This past Friday I went to Asheville, North Carolina for a field trip! We know some good friends over there that live in Asheville so for the first day we went and ate dinner with them (After I was through with being car sick- BLECH!) and swam in the pool until 1 in the morning. Our friends have kids ages 13 (Tanner), 5 (Cade), 3 (Harper and Haze- twins hehe)! They left at midnight but we all were supposed to be out of the hotel pool by 10:30 but we are rule breakers XD! After Ella, my mom, and I took a shower it was 1:30 in the morning and we went to eat at the Waffle House because we were hungry hahahaha!
Next Day- We woke up in the morning, got dressed and settled for a 1 hour car drive to a maple syrup farm! We have been recently studying pioneer life such as how the Little House on the Prairie people lived. In the winter, when it was cold enough, people go out to their Sugar Maple trees and tap a metal or plastic (or wood if you are talking about the pioneering time) 5 inch hollowed stick in a Sugar Maple's tree trunk and place a bucket up underneath to gather sap and make maple syrup, maple candy, and maple sugar out of the sap. We went up there and we took a tour. There were over 106 acres of land!! We didn't cover it all but we went up a hill and the tour guide showed us a big, ENORMOUS maple tree which was their main source of maple- but they also had 699 other maple trees to get sap out of! He then took us down to see two donkeys, one which was named Sally and she had a baby donkey named Jack. We got to pet their soft noses! Then what was truly amazing was he took us down to a BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG jar (about 650 gallons) of sap! The sap looks EXACTLY like water!! We got to taste it and it tasted just like water too but the after taste wasn't so great. We then went to the boiling spot! They add NO additional ingredients to make maple syrup- just get sap straight from a tree and boil it. The cool thing about it is that sap has only 1% of sugar in it but when you concentrate it, it turns into 69% of sugar!!




MOVIE TIME!!


The Karate Kid (2010)


Positive Messages: The boy wants to learn how to fight for good.


Violence: Since it is a karate movie, there are some injuries such as black eyes, broken bones and ribs.


Language: a**


Great movie! I think this is better than the original! I highly suggest this to you guys! Enjoy!


-Abby
Hope you enjoyed my story about the field trip!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds super fun!!!! I wanna go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- it is awesome!!! You really should when you... hehe MOVE here! :D Get on video chat :) :) :) [If you can]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome Abby! Hehe, I get car sick too on car trips. :D
    Leanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leanna- I actually found out I wasn't car sick I was literally sick. Right now I have a temperature of 101.0 :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, sorry about that. :( (also sorry I am replying so long from then! XD)

    Oh-and I tagged you at my blog. Here's the link to that post: http://loop-de-looplifebyleanna.blogspot.com/2011/03/howdy-lol-i-know-this-is-my-second-post.html

    Thanks,
    Leanna :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! If you can comment I would love that! Make sure to be nice and say only nice things because we don't want anything bad on here. Also please don't give out ANY personal information!